Travel Diary: Jasper, Just Before Winter

Nov 5, 2017

Last week, we headed towards Jasper National Park for a quick one-nighter to show Craig’s mom the sweet little mountain-side town we’ve come to love. Fall in Jasper is the best time to visit! As the trees turn yellow, and the weather cools down, the mountains seem to really show off during this season. We believe Jasper National Park has a different feel to the more commercial Banff. While they’re both equally magical, Jasper feels a bit more like a National Park within the town where it’s not uncommon to spot wild animals, such as Elk and Deer, outside your hotel window. On this visit, we were extremely lucky to have spotted Deer, Goats, Caribou, Moose and even a Wolf!

Read: Our Winter Wonderland in Banff

Fall really is the best time to visit #Jasper National Park! Click To Tweet

Getting There:

The drive to Jasper only takes 4 hours from Edmonton, so it’s the perfect little, quick-getaway to the mountains. We always stop half way, in Edson, for a coffee stop at Scared Ground (which serves Starbucks), before we get to the National Park entrance. You usually pay an entry fee into the park, but this year (2017) entry into all of the parks are free. From 2018, youth 17 and under get in free — see all other fees here.

DAY ONE:

Late Lunch at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge:

The drive does mean you’re usually still on the roads during lunch-time, unless you leave really early. We started out at 10am and arrived in Jasper around 2pm, starving! We headed straight to Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge — reportedly fit enough for the royals — to have a quick bite to eat in the Emerald Lounge. In winter, we try to snag the seats right in front of a fire, but in the summer, you can sit on the patio with the stunning view of the lake.

Stroll around the Incredible Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge:

The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge is by far our favourite place to stay in Jasper National Park. If the lakeside cabins with views of the mountains don’t sell you, we don’t know what will. That said, the luxurious accommodation option comes with a luxurious price-tag. So, if you don’t get to stay there, you should definitely take advantage of their dining options or even their spa. Craig and I did just that on one of our previous visits, and we had one of the best couple massages of our lives — its no wonder they’ve been voted one of the best spas in Canada. When visiting, you should also take some time to stroll down to the lake to walk alongside the water, exploring the large, picturesque property.

The Royal Treatment:

With rumours that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be honeymooning here, you might wonder who else has visited this hotel. Well, book the Outlook Cabin, also known as the Royal Retreat, and you can boast about staying where the likes of King George VI, Queen Elizabeth (in 1939) as well as Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip (in 2005) have also laid their head! You might want to bring the whole family along though, the 6 bedroom Retreat might feel a little empty on a couples getaway!

Read: Recap On Our 2017 Travels — About Our First Visit to Jasper

Pyramid Lake & Island:

Another must visit is Pyramid Lake and Island. If you have time to plan a head, this little spot would be great for a little picnic lunch or dinner, bearing in mind the weather! There are cute little log benches all over the island with incredible views that you could stare at for hours.

Jasper National Park Best Time to Visit

Check-In:

If only we were lucky enough to stay at the Fairmont, it is by far the best place to stay in town. Instead, we booked in centrally at the more reasonable Best Western. It didn’t break the bank, and we were planning on being out and about more than we would be cosying indoors. Here’s a list of other accommodation spots nearby.

Best Coffee in Jasper… is at a laundromat!

Snowdome Coffee Bar and Laundromat is my favourite concept ever. It’s so unassuming and simple, yet it boasts the best coffee in town. I’ve tried all the others. I promise, this is the best! And, bonus, if you need a place to do your laundry too!

Dinnertime:

For a quick and easy dinner, I would recommend Famoso’s Pizza (which serves GF pizzas) or Earls. We opted for pizza on this particular night, because I am abnormally obsessed with a Brussels Sprouts pizza they offer, but Earls has amazing variety on their menu — plus some healthier options. You can also find some great options listed on the Jasper Tourism site too.

DAY TWO:

Breakfast in the Dark at Coco’s:

We woke up early (as usual), while the rest of the town was clearly all still asleep, to have a quick breakfast before we set out to explore. Luckily, Coco’s Cafe is open from 6 am and serves up celiac foods plus great coffee in their tiny cafe. From a granola bowl to breakfast wraps and bagels, I had quite a variety to choose from.

Maligne Lake at Dawn:

It’s about a 30 minute drive from town, up into the mountains to get to Lake Maligne (pronounced like “Malene” and not “Ma-line”, like I like to say) so while we may have started the drive in pitch darkness, we arrived to the sunlight peaking over the mountains onto the lake — perfect timing, if you ask me. There was only one other photographer alongside the lake when we arrived so it felt like we were the only people for miles.

Jasper Park, Alberta, Canada

Driving back down the mountain, and out of the Park, presented a picture-perfect moment at each turn and bend. If you’re a nature lover, Jasper is one destination you cannot miss. Every time I think about how difficult it was to adjust to new life in Canada (you might have read all about it here), I remember how incredibly blessed we have been to experience all these new places — and to have this in our backyard!

“The Mountains are calling and I must go” — John Muir

Hope you enjoyed our little getaway travel diary in Jasper! Can you believe in two weeks we will be back in Vancouver again!? And a week after that, I’ll be off back to South Africa. SO. MUCH. TO. COME! Stay tuned! 🙂

Read: Our Travel Round Up — Our Favourites From Vancouver

Keep in touch with us on Instagram // Twitter // Facebook to see all our latest updates!

Dreaming of a Royal Retreat,

Edmonton Blogger

PIN THIS FOR LATER

INSTAGRAM LATELY:

[instagram-feed]

1. Lianne

November 6th, 2017 at 7:54 AM

Looks like such a pretty place! It also looks like winter there already, haha. Can’t imagine how cold it gets in January! The landscapes look like my kind of place. Thanks for sharing this itinerary!

2. Alyssa

November 6th, 2017 at 9:07 AM

Jasper is on my bucket list and your post makes me yearn to visit even more! I will definitely have to check out the coffee bar/ laundry mat duo when I visit- someday

3. marta

November 6th, 2017 at 6:20 PM

What an absolutely lovely place to visit! From my limited experience, it seems that Canada’s Fairmount hotels are amazing places to stay!!

4. lcdorkin

November 6th, 2017 at 8:09 PM

Very true! The Fairmont Hotel chain is definitely some of the best places to stay in, in Canada!

5. jithin

November 7th, 2017 at 7:55 AM

Wow..the place looks stunning. Never heard of Jasper before but I can’t wait to visit there next time in Canada. Thanks for sharing. The pictures are amazing.

6. lcdorkin

November 8th, 2017 at 7:19 AM

Ah, that makes me so happy to hear that I’ve shown someone somewhere new in the world to visit! 🙂

7. Marifaith

November 7th, 2017 at 9:52 AM

I love how you used all the pictures from your visit. It is so beautiful! We live in the States but one day am hoping to travel with my husband! This will have to go on my list!

8. Julie

November 7th, 2017 at 10:09 AM

This looks like a pretty awesome weekend getaway! I love that the best coffee is at the laundry mat. Reminds me when we found the best ice cream in town at an Exxon Station. Crazy huh? My kids would love to see all the wildlife too!

9. Baia

November 7th, 2017 at 12:02 PM

wow this place looks absolutey stunning. And thise deers walking around blew my mind. You ll never see such animals up close in national parks of my country

10. Melissa

November 7th, 2017 at 8:02 PM

beautiful pics! We’ve been to Banff several times and love it! I’ve always wanted to go to Jasper, but it’s a further drive for us. Your review definitely makes me want to take the trip north!!!

11. lcdorkin

November 8th, 2017 at 7:25 AM

Banff is also so beautiful! But you’ll love seeing how different each of the parks are! Maybe you’ll have to do the Ice fields Parkway Drive from Banff to Jasper one day — apparently it’s one of the most beautiful drives in your life!

12. Maninder

November 7th, 2017 at 8:30 PM

Wow looks so beautiful! Love the pictures ..

13. Victoria

November 7th, 2017 at 9:41 PM

I’m going to Canada in a couple of weeks and looking forward to it. I haven’t been to Jasper but I hope to travel all over the country…

14. Agness of Fit Travelling

November 16th, 2017 at 2:30 PM

Jasper seems so outstanding and a perfect winter destination, Leigh! Thanks for the coffee tip, as that’s what I’m interested most. How many days would you recommend staying there?

15. lcdorkin

November 22nd, 2017 at 10:32 AM

Hi Agness, I would recommend 3 days, depending on what you’re keen to do. The best bet would be to extend your stay and include Banff — the drive from Jasper to Banff is incredible! And both towns are completely unique. Both also have at least one good coffee shop! 😉

16. Agness of Fit Travelling

November 23rd, 2017 at 4:16 AM

Thanks, Leigh. I am adding Baniff to my bucket list right next to Jasper. 😉 Can’t wait to try the coffee there.

17. Jess

March 3rd, 2018 at 11:46 AM

We’ve been to Banff a number of times, but rarely seem to make it to Jasper. We’ll have to make an effort to change that!

18. Dan

March 3rd, 2018 at 2:31 PM

Looks like such a cool spot!

Gotta visit again this summer from Toronto

19. Kate Andrews

May 29th, 2018 at 7:52 PM

Can’t believe that picture of the two deer. Wow! What kind of camera do you use?

20. Gail

May 30th, 2018 at 6:18 AM

Wow I could just stare out at that lake all day….. while eating Brussels sprout pizza 🙂 Looks like a great place to visit!

21. Cassie & Joseph - No Compass Necessary

May 30th, 2018 at 7:45 AM

This place looks stunning! Adding to our travel bucket list 🙂

22. Margaret Smith

May 31st, 2018 at 4:50 AM

wow, that looks like an amazing spot. We are always looking for new sites to visit.

Comments