How Our New York Weekend Turned Into A New York Minute

Feb 23, 2018

You will have already seen on Instagram that we had MAJOR flight delays this past weekend on our way to our much anticipated getaway in New York. So much so that our New York weekend turned into a New York DAY. And by day, I mean just over 24 hours to explore this incredible city that has been on my bucket-list for YEARS. YEARS!! Let’s just let that sink in a little. Are you also wondering why I didn’t have an absolute meltdown because of it?! Well, because the whole don’t-cry-over-spilt-milk yada yada. But also because I can pretty much guarantee we will be back, but with a direct flight, in a non-snowy season!

Bearing all this in mind, while this is a travel diary of what we did in New York, this is by no means ‘A Guide to Doing NYC in 24 Hours’. First of all, one should NEVER cram a city like NYC into a day. Same goes for Paris (See 5 Days). And two, we had other priorities on this trip: a friend’s birthday celebration & a clear, but subconscious wish to get fat on NYC food. Plus the rain was a buzzkill for any outdoor activities including the Brooklyn Bridge and Central Park (Sigh). So, here’s how we made the most of our New York Minute!

Read: Our Travel Diary in the most beautiful place, Santorini, Greece

Getting To NYC:

Just to recap our flight delays: we missed our early flight to Toronto, because of so many reasons, but then that snowballed into us missing our connection in Toronto to NYC because bad weather and could not catch another flight out that night due to several flights being cancelled. Just our luck! We tried literally everything we could think of. We even nearly went via Atlanta to get to NYC that night, but decided against getting stuck there. Basically, had we not missed our initial flight which did make it to NYC (with our luggage), we would have had nearly two extra days in NYC! Instead, we had two days in the Toronto Airport and saw nothing there either!

Layover in Toronto:

Luckily, we got put up in an airport hotel nearby which wasn’t bad and we managed to make the most out of a bad travel situation (i.e. we checked-in, headed to the nearest restaurant and proceeded to have a very expensive meal with a large amount fo alcohol to calm the travel nerves). While we might have slept soundly that night, we weren’t in the clear yet! We arrived back at the Pearson Airport the next day super early for our flight — just in case — and kept checking the flight board nervously for flight changes or cancellations. Luckily, our flight was only delayed a further hour and a half, and by 6pm, we finally took off from the runway.

Finally Landed!

Once we landed, we made a mad dash to find our luggage, grab a taxi and rush straight to our dinner reservations, all bags in tow! We did not have time to make a stop at the hotel to drop them off and still get to the reservation on time so we luckily were able to check them in with the concierge at the hotel connected to the restaurant. Thank goodness, because I had visions of us all sitting in a fancy, but small NYC restaurant with stuffed luggage under our table! We already looked like dregs in the clothes from the day before. Could you imagine the looks?!

Dinner at Cafe Boulud:

Our friends had booked all our meal reservations on our behalf, and boy did they pick well! Cafe Boulud, the Michelin-Starred restaurant, did not disappoint! We ordered lots of champagne to make up for the travel worries, and I indulged in the best truffle risotto I’ve ever had! It was a pricey affair, but so worth it.

Checking Into The Beekman Hotel:

I think it was close to midnight when we finally got to check-in at our hotel, the Beekman Hotel — part of the Thompson group of Hotels. This gorgeous, historical gem of a building is unlike any hotel we’ve ever stayed at! The amazing 9-story atrium is the main feature of the hotel, but the design and decor is eclectic and moody! Check out this video about the design here. It’s also on the more reasonable side of hotel prices than some of the other luxury, 5-star hotels. We paid just ±$300 a night + Tax with our Booking.com Genius discount added. The Beekman is also located nearby some of Manhattan’s most cherished attractions, including the Brooklyn Bridge and the World Trade Center.

Speaking of saving money at fancy hotels, if you would like $ 25 CAD off your next trip with Booking.com, use this referral link!

New York Minute

Breakfast at Le Coucou:

This Bar, guys. Seriously. I’ve been swooning over it on Instagram, but have you ever seen one so Instagram-worthy?! It’s pretty much the reason I was dying to go to this place for breakfast! We originally had it booked for Saturday, which we evidently could not have made. But luckily, we could make a last minute change for a very early breakfast at 9 am. Read all about our experience on our Instagram post below!

This bar is serious life goals. Like I am ???? percent replicating it in our ‘one day house’. It’s literally on every NYC IT girls feed, but it’s on min because of the orange hues ????????‍♀️???????? Jokes. It’s a fancy little French restaurant that we popped into on our Sunday in NYC. And by popped into, I mean we booked a month in advance. It was SO cute but SO French. The waiter literally looked disgusted when I asked what was gluten-free ????????????‍♀️ His reply ‘fruit’ gave me the best giggle, cause like why would I fly for two days to have fruit right?! ????????????????‍♀️ Long story short, I did not have fruit. But I also didn’t have the delicious looking Pain au chocolate being eaten by my brunch-mates at the table! ???? _____________________________________________________ #yeg #usa???????? #yeggers #newyorknewyork #newyork_ig #newyorkcity #newyork #nyc #VentureBeyond #cnntravel #bbctravel #usa #travelphotography #oculus #travelusa #nyc???? #travel #travelblogger #traveldiaries #lovetotravel #ilovetravel #travelcouples #travelcouplebloggers #travelbloggers #nyc_instagram #newyorkigers #newyorkiloveyou #lecoucou #nycfood #nycbrunch

A post shared by The Globe Diary Blog (@theglobediary) on

New York

Grand Central Station:

It’s just a thing to do, so we did it! We stopped off at Grand Central Station to get our stereotypical, touristy NYC pics! And I loved it! Some touristy things I just geek out over and this was one of them.

New York

Drinks at the Bar Room:

Hotel Bar Room is the moody, comfortable vibe that I’ll take over a loud, crowded club any day. This place looked like the local hangout buzzing on a Sunday night! We pre-drank it up before hitting our late dinner reservation and took in the vibrant atmosphere. This bar is definitely my kind of hangout! And how perfect to have it just a few floors below your hotel room?!

New York Minute

Dinner at Lilia in Brooklyn:

This place apparently needs a month’s booking in advance! Luckily our friend took care of that — Thanks Teaan! Lilia is a casual, Italian eatery in Brooklyn that has rave reviews! Well, I’m not surprised! I’m still raving about that chocolate cake dessert! We ordered a variety of things on their extensive menu including the artichoke, the cauliflower, the beans and then our mains. The boys all ordered pasta as I looked on longingly — If only this place did GF pasta! But I had the fish and that was fresh and light after a long day of NYC eats! Check out the menu here.

Ground Zero — The World Trade Centre & The Oculus

On the way back to the hotel, we took advantage of the fact that the rain had finally stopped, and we got out of the cab near Ground Zero to check out the World Trade Centre and the Oculus. I know this place gets suuuper busy so I am actually kind of glad we made the midnight trek. It was chilling walking around this place so late, with no one around, which I think was the perfect setting to really take in the scene.

New York

New York Minute

Shoutout to the Birthday Boy! Teaan, thank you for being extra and having your birthday in NYC! So glad we went!

Next Up: Banff!

We’re off to our next adventure today — back to the mountains! And I cannot wait to take a million photos (as usual). Do you remember our visit to Jasper a few months ago before winter hit? Those Mountain-Lake views kill me! Let’s hope Craig is keen on early morning photo ops this time! 😉

Follow us on our Instagram stories, we constantly update them throughout our trips!

Missing NYC already,

Edmonton Blogger

PIN THIS FOR LATER

1. Kasia Olszewski

February 23rd, 2018 at 8:44 AM

I want to commend you for keeping your head after so many delays. Anytime I have ever traveled and a flight got canceled, people would go ballistic!
    For just over 24 hours, your trip looks to be fun filled. I grew up and Connecticut and surprisingly never ventured over to New York, although we’re neighborin States. But it is definitely still on my bucket list!

2. Susannah

February 23rd, 2018 at 9:21 AM

Looks like you fit in some great stuff, at least! I loved the 9/11 monument, too!

3. Katie

February 23rd, 2018 at 12:08 PM

Wow, what a trip! I’m a huge broadway nerd so NYC is definitely on the top of my bucket list, bravo for you for not having a complete meltdown over missing a chunk of your trip. I love your blog and writing style! Subscribed + can’t wait to read more!

Katie

4. Kemkem

February 25th, 2018 at 8:25 AM

Nothing worse than travel fails. I’m glad you were able to make the best of it though :-). Travel is not all fun and things going right all the time, so being flexible is key.

5. Ella Linda e

February 25th, 2018 at 11:58 AM

sound like you had a great time in NY

6. Michelle

February 25th, 2018 at 6:52 PM

I don’t like delays either and travel mishaps! Glad you made it through and enjoyed your time in NY. New York is one of my bucket-lists when visiting the states. I love the content.

7. Amy Kennedy

February 25th, 2018 at 7:15 PM

Wow! What a trip! I was so happy to read about all your adventures! I went to NYC last fall for the first time, and am going back this next fall. I may check out some of the spots you visited! I’m sorry it got cut short, but you still covered lots of great places! Really fun post!

8. Jenna

February 25th, 2018 at 7:21 PM

Beautiful photos! It looks like you had an amazing trip. ????

9. Angel Lou

February 25th, 2018 at 8:54 PM

I’m glad you made it to NYC. Photos are just so pretty.

10. Michelle

February 25th, 2018 at 9:17 PM

Wow — you fit in some great stuff! I’ve always wanted to see Grand Central Station in person. I’ve seen it in so many movies and it just looks so larger than life and… well… grand! And that hotel you stayed at — wow!

Thanks for sharing! x

Michelle
    dressingwithstyle-s.com

11. Brittany

February 25th, 2018 at 10:49 PM

Your pictures of ground zero are amazing! It’s on my bucket list to visit there! That stinks your trip got cut short but what an eventful 24 hours you had! An experience you will never forget I’m sure! 🙂

12. Christine beltran

February 26th, 2018 at 12:25 AM

I really want to go there its in my bucket list. I’ve had plains problems they are not fun.

13. Becca

February 26th, 2018 at 6:58 AM

So impressed with how much you fit into one day! Looks like such a fun 24 hours. 🙂

14. Emily

February 27th, 2018 at 7:21 AM

I was just in NYC and would have been so devastated if I couldn’t explore as much as I wanted. Your photos are fantastic though!

15. lcdorkin

February 27th, 2018 at 8:32 AM

Thank you so much! So jealous you were just there! Hope you had the best time! x

16. Taryn

February 27th, 2018 at 1:15 PM

Wow! You managed to fit a lot into 24 hours. So much to see and do in NYC, it would take a lifetime!
    Enjoyed reading.

17. Heather Sears

February 27th, 2018 at 2:04 PM

I want to go to NY sooo badly. These pictures look so amazing

18. Sophie

February 27th, 2018 at 2:15 PM

There’s never enough time in NY!

19. Tanya

February 27th, 2018 at 2:27 PM

OH WOW! So much last minute details that were not anticipated! I have no idea how you remained calmed (I would have been running in circles)! This blog is amazing and very well written with great content!

20. lcdorkin

February 27th, 2018 at 2:35 PM

Thank you! I really appreciate that! x

21. Claire

February 27th, 2018 at 7:59 PM

Wow! You packed a LOT into 24 hours! We’ve always been lucky that any major delays (including returning to Toronto from NYC ) have always been on the return trip. I can’t even imagine how disappointing it must have been. Looks like you really made the most of it though.

22. Juli

February 28th, 2018 at 6:12 AM

Seems you had a lot of fun and enjoyed yourselves. Love the pictures that you shared as well.

23. Brianna

February 28th, 2018 at 12:58 PM

Wow, that was definitely a whirlwind trip! I hope you’ll go back and see what else NYC has! As you’ve stated, it’s definitely not a one day city! 😉

24. Geemiz

February 28th, 2018 at 10:53 PM

You have such an amazing friend and that just gives me an idea on the next trip. Cramping New York in 24 hours I say you did a pretty great job there. Looking forward for your next article on a proper NYC Trip.

25. Eli

February 28th, 2018 at 10:54 PM

New York will always be one of my favorite cities. There’s so much to explore, and when you’re not exploring, there’s so much to do anyway. I loved your pictures too! The inside of the Oculus is something I have yet to see for myself.

26. Nathan

March 1st, 2018 at 6:40 AM

Great to hear that you managed to arrive in New York safely and admire the local sights and sounds after encountering so many delays and cancelled flights. Absolutely do not cram these big cities into 1 day!!

27. YUKTI

March 1st, 2018 at 12:24 PM

Last year in summers, I went to NYC and fell in love with vibrant and lively city. Your hotel looks luxurious and grand. Grand Central station is really a historic place. Loved your photos.

28. Karla | Little Conquest

March 7th, 2018 at 6:25 PM

Glad you had fun even with all the delay hassle! That hotel looks beautiful, maybe I’ll add it to my bucket list 😉

29. Lili

August 31st, 2018 at 10:17 AM

This was an amazing read! Planning my trip in October to NY! I can’t wait to try out some of the places you mentioned here

Comments